Here I’m explaining the general architecture of computer.
General Architecture of Computer
A basic compute includes 3 major components to process data. They are:
- Input unit
- Central Processing Unit, and
- Output unit
The input units are used to read the necessary data into the computer. The information is entered into a computer through the input devices. An input device converts the input data into a form acceptable to a computer.
Example: Keyboard and Mouse
Output devices are used to show the results of processed data. They are used to record the results obtained from processing an present them into the user. The commonly used output devices are monitors, printers and speakers.
Central Processing Unit
It is the most important component of a computer system. CPU controls the operation of all other components such as memory, input and output devices. The CPU has 3 major components.
- Memory storage unit
- Arithmetic & logic unit
- Control unit
Memory storage unit
- Used to store data, programs, indeterminate & final results.
- All data and program must be place in the primary memory before they can be use in processing.
Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU)
- Computerization like addition, subtraction, multiplication and division an logical operations such as comparison.
- Performs its tasks with special storage locations called registers.
- Co-ordinates all operations of a computer as per instructions and supervising their execution.